Devastating the Obvious

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring and Owls



March 21. The first day of spring.

I get restless in the spring. At the first scent of thaw in the air - that chill smells a little like ozone and fresh water - I want to go outside and hunt down the first patch of bare earth I can find, to seek crocuses under the snow, to see meltwater make it's way to the river. I want to explore. I want to move. I want to see new things.

Today, that restlessness exhibited itself in the pressing desire to see owls. Why owls? I have no clue. Usually, when a desire to see birds manifests, it the desire to see hawks, falcons, or even the floofy little merlins that live down by the river. Never owls.

Ususally, the only time I get a really good look at owls is in the winter, when the Snowy Owls come south and perch on the telephone poles usually occupied by Swainson's Hawks and Red-Tails in the summer. But today? I want to see Saw-whet owls. Barn owls. The huge, regal Great Horned owls. The owls of summertime.

I wonder if the zoo is open yet... It's no midnight-owl-hunting by the river in June, but it'd certainly satisfy my craving for small, floofy, large-eyed creatures with perpetually shocked expressions.

_____________

Fun fact - the Inuktitut word for owl is ookpik, which I think is one of the best words ever. Ookpik. Hee.

3 Comments:

  • The zoo is always open. Between Labour day and sometime in May, the park and zoo have limited hours, but are free (I think they close at 4 or 5, though).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

  • Do they still keep animals in a zoo-like place on campus?? I remember being taken there to practice drawing animals during summer art daycamps..... There may have been owls.

    By Blogger Francesca, at 9:25 PM  

  • Owls are the ultimate awesome of bird species. I have half the face of one tattooed on my right shoulder and the other half in a stylized maple leaf. It is all done in a semi-tribal format as one image.

    I have also have owl wallpapers for my workstation.

    kaq

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home